Norwegian beaten into coma in Pattaya

Ed Zeppelin

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are right on the one hand, but in a situation where you just "lose it" and passion or emotion takes over, that is another story, and rational "civilized" people may well lose it in certain circumstances.

Yes but people who "lose it" go to jail, in the West :)

Anyway, I can perfectly understand and sympathize with someone who walks in on a very violent esp on a loved one and "loses it". I may also be one of those who "lose it" BUT:

1. that's very rarely the case with these gangs of Thais butchering singles or vastly outnumbered foreigners. It's usually over extremely trivial matters where the Thais are oftentimes the ones in the wrong too.

2. I doubt I would go on and on beating an already unconscious body. That's where most people, thugs included, usually stop (or at the very least are made to stop). Continuing to mayhem a totally defensless unconscious body laying on the ground strikes me as extremely savage and barbaric, worth of animals not humans. That's sadly the norm in most 3rd world cultures and it's certainly the case in Thailand.

Thanks for the update on the guy, sorry to hear he is not doing any better. It does now seem that some witnesses or such have come forward and given more information to gather that it was a robbery?

I would think that since the case involves a foreign tourist the police have been forced to move a little their lazy asses and have "pressured" some of the many people (working there) that they know must have witnessed the scene (remember where and when it happened) and who (this being the smiling Paradise that it is) hadn't initially volunteered any infos nor had helped the guy (during and just after the beating, seems he spent quite a bit of time laying into the bush)...

Was watching Lost Series 3 last night. In Episode 9 Jack has a flashback to when he was chilling out in Phuket and got the shit kicked out of him by 4 or 5 Thai guys (they didn't like his tattoo). Obviously LOS has developed a reputation for this sort of thing.

I hope so and it's about time too!

BTW, the word isn't "developed", it's "earned"...

1. that's very rarely the case with these gangs of Thais butchering singles or vastly outnumbered foreigners. It's usually over extremely trivial matters where the Thais are oftentimes the ones in the wrong too.

2. I doubt I would go on and on beating an already unconscious body. That's where most people, thugs included, usually stop (or at the very least are made to stop). Continuing to mayhem a totally defensless unconscious body laying on the ground strikes me as extremely savage and barbaric, worth of animals not humans. That's sadly the norm in most 3rd world cultures and it's certainly the case in Thailand.

It's called evolution.

"...Yes but people who "lose it" go to jail, in the West..."

Not always, many situations where people lost it and walked. Depends on the circumstances, and the jury, jurisdiction etc...some are never tried.

Agree this was a savage act. Did you ever see the famous footage of the Thammasaart uprising? there is one point where they have a guy strung up by the neck, obviously dead, yet people are still blind with rage and beating him with sticks and kicking him. Savage is an understatement.

The guy was already dead when they hung him to that tree outside the university. The mob had been told he was a communist Vietnamese agent. He was actually a second year student at Chulalongkorn.

Good old Samak played his part in stirring up the mobs. Now he may become PM.

Here's the story from Pattaya Daily News

Norwegian beaten unconscious by thugs at beer bar

Boonlua Chatree

A Norwegian tourist was beaten and badly injured by a gang of Thai men at a group of beer bars in the early hours of December 30, the attackers stealing the manâ??s property and leaving him unconscious as they rode away on their motorcycles.

Pattaya Police Station received a report of the incident at 2:30 a.m. from an anonymous caller, and rushed to the Wonderful Beer Bar group of bars alongside Second Road.

There are 15 beer bars located on an area of about 10 rai of land, with a stand of trees to the rear of the bars. The officers found a number of tourists drinking, and more than 200 bargirls who appeared unaware that anything had happened. Amongst the trees at the rear of the bars, however, police found the unconscious figure of a man. He was identified as Geir Andre Sirevag, a 26-year-old Norwegian citizen.

The ground was covered in blood. Sirevag, who was shaven-headed, had traces of blood at the base of his left ear from a wound, and there was a swelling on his head. The area above his left ear had an indentation and his eyebrow was bleeding. His body was bruised. The officers with great difficulty carried him out by his arms and legs, and sent him for treatment to Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Police attempted to question eyewitnesses at the scene, but no one was willing to speak. Later, however, one witness spoke in secret. A Thai man described as being short and overweight had come to the bars with three associates. Everyone was afraid of them. The gang had a problem with the Norwegian man, and they surrounded him and beat him until he was unconscious before carrying him out and throwing him into the trees 20 meters away. They took all his property, then came back to their motorcycles that were parked in front of the bars and calmly rode away. A woman who officers suspect was a beer bar staff member called the police.

Pol Col Nopadol Wongnom, superintendent at Pattaya Police Station has ordered a full investigation of all the bar staff members.

Archived