Economical situation in LOS???

drogon

Have you applied for your PR?

Have you for yours?

I lived for over 4 years in Thailand, was much wealthier than 90% of the Thais, spent millions of Baht and never qualified to ask for PR. Not even 1 year extensions of stay.

I have now been married for over 3 years to a Thai citizen, am still wealthier than 90% of the Thais and the maximum I can legally get is a 90 days NON-IMM "O" visa (they have even "cracked down" on multi entries...).

So, what kind of visa are you on (it doesn't sound like you are on PR)? How long are you allowed to stay at a time? Are you still doing 90 days police reports like criminals are used to in the West?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have now been married for over 3 years to a Thai citizen, am still wealthier than 90% of the Thais and the maximum I can legally get is a 90 days NON-IMM "O" visa (they have even "cracked down" on multi entries...)

(I'm gonna kick myself for even responding to Figgy, but...)

WTF? Why exactly can you NOT get a one-year non-imm O (aka spouse) visa? Only because you don't wanna (and saying so without giving the reason makes for a better story).

PR status is 100/*country* not 100 total, so stop being so hyperbolic. But, I know, that's your thing.

They way you diss the entire Thai population makes me want to say that Italians are fucking stupid for electing the same thieving bastard as PM several times, even after they have thrown him out a few. But I won't. Generalizations are stupid.

Don't bother to respond.

Cheers,

SD -- also understands and accepts the limitations of Thailand but does NOT want it to change cuz then it'll just be another Western-wannabe shithole.

SD -- also understands and accepts the limitations of Thailand but does NOT want it to change cuz then it'll just be another Western-wannabe shithole.

I donâ??t think Thailand will change much if these racist and discriminating laws are finally abolished. What you love is the relaxed attitude (mai pen rai; sanook, sabbai suai) of the populations, which wonâ??t change just because foreigners can own some land, have the same possibility to raise funds for investment, wonâ??t be overcharged and can rely on fair and transparent immigration regulations.

To get those changes, I'm afraid you'll have to accept many more. The smoking ban comes immediately to mind. Anytime someone bans something that is legal, it is a slippery slope to PC-land IMHO.

Cheers,

SD -- if he has to live in PC-land, then Sillypore it is!

WTF? Why exactly can you NOT get a one-year non-imm O (aka spouse) visa? Only because you don't wanna (and saying so without giving the reason makes for a better story).

No, because you have to prove a 40k Baht/month income certifiable by your embassy.

My income comes from my Italian properties' rentals and my Embassy won't certify any rental income. Indeed, MOST don't and some embassies do not certify any income at all (IIRC the US embassy is one of those).

So, your income must come from govt jobs or govt pensions to qualify.

My wife works here in Italy in the private sector and makes more than 40k Baht/month but, again, my (now our...) embassy in Bangkok won't certify an income in the private sector.

Now, I know that, as things stand now, I may trick and cheat my way into getting a 1 year extension of stay by getting an affidavit from my embassy where *I* declare to get an income of 40k+ baht/month and, that paper having an official embassy stamp on, it would likely pass the "scrutiny" (LOL) of a Thai immigration officer but that's not what we are talking about is it?? We are talking about what's LEGALLY available to us not what we can cheat, trick and bribe our way into...

BTW, what kind of visa and/or extension of stay are you on?

PR status is 100/*country* not 100 total, so stop being so hyperbolic. But, I know, that's your thing.

I did write (only twice, I admit, so you had zero hope to get it): "100 PRs per year [color:red]per nationality[/color]".

They way you diss the entire Thai population makes me want to say that Italians are fucking stupid for electing the same thieving bastard several times, even after they have thrown him out a few. But I won't. Generalizations are stupid.

Your political analysis regarding Italy is as intelligent and knowledgeable as your usual socio-economical-political analyses regarding Thailand.

Berlusconi was "thrown out" once and was voted out once.

Being voted in and out is what democracy is all about (I hope you agree).

He was "thrown out" by your comrades after being legally elected once by means of a political manouver in Parliament without passing again through the popular vote. At the next election he was voted in again by a bigger margin.

What happened was that the leftists managed to convince a party in his coalition (they were on the ballots under the same symbol so were bonded to follow the voters' mandate which was to govern together) to switch sides and formed a new govern with part of the votes Berlusconi got.

So if someone is fucking stupid, it's the ones commenting on this situation without knowing all of the facts. Now, did you know those facts, mister Italian politics commentator?

I don't even want to comtemplate the possibility that you did know them and were condoning your comrades' actions... :)

Don't bother to respond.

If you don't want a reply, don't bother to write to me.

I actually agree with you here (see, it happens sometimes) and have clearly said so on this very thread. I very much prefer it to stay the 3rd world boozing and whoring shithole that it is...

To get those changes, I'm afraid you'll have to accept many more. The smoking ban comes immediately to mind. Anytime someone bans something that is legal, it is a slippery slope to PC-land IMHO.

Cheers,

SD -- if he has to live in PC-land, then Sillypore it is!

While I agree that a radical change of attitude would change Thailand "for the worse" (from a monger's perspective) what you have today in Thailand is even worse.

You are getting a whole lot of this negative "PC-land" nonsense without getting any positive ones!

With its new (and ever worsening) smoking regulations, mobile phones regulations, alcohol regulations, closing times regulations, uni dress code regulations, censorship etc etc etc (which actually are STRICTER THAN IN THE WEST! LOL at your blindness SuaDum) are NOT coming ANY of the PC-land "nonsense" which would benefit farangs in Thailand and which greatly benefit Thais in the West...

So it seems that you CAN have ones (and worse ones, at that) without the others.

No, because you have to prove a 40k Baht/month income certifiable by your embassy.

My income comes from my [color:red]Italian[/color] properties' rentals and my Embassy won't certify any rental income. Indeed, MOST don't and some embassies do not certify any income at all (IIRC the US embassy is one of those).

So, your income must come from govt jobs or govt pensions to qualify.

My wife works here in [color:red]Italy[/color] in the private sector and makes more than 40k Baht/month but, again, [color:red]my (now our...) embassy[/color] in Bangkok won't certify an income in the private sector.

Now, I know that, as things stand now, I may trick and cheat my way into getting a 1 year extension of stay by getting an affidavit from my embassy where *I* declare to get an income of 40k+ baht/month and, that paper having an official embassy stamp on, it would likely pass the "scrutiny" (LOL) of a Thai immigration officer but that's not what we are talking about is it?? We are talking about what's LEGALLY available to us not what we can cheat, trick and bribe our way into...

Lets get this right, the fact that YOUR Embassy will not certify your income os somehow the fault of the THAI Immigration.

Have got amymore chestnuts for us because your diatribe has kept me rather amused for the last couple of days

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Lets get this right, the fact that YOUR Embassy will not certify your income os somehow the fault of the THAI Immigration.

Funnily enough, since the Thai immigration laws are REQUIRING from our embassies something which they don't usually do (and in most cases CANNOT do) and, above all, since [color:red]their very own embassy here in Italy WILL NOT and CANNOT do it[/color] I would say that YES, it is only and entirely the fault of Thailand's immigration laws.

And what about people who have cash but not a "proper" monthly income? What if I sold all of my properties and sat on a ton of cash??

Today, the ONLY way to get 1 year extensions as a spouse of a Thai citizen (parents, which by logic and basic human values should have an even greater right, are not allowed anymore period) is by proving to have a combined monthly income of no less than 40k Baht!

More tricks and cheats are the "answer" (i.e. you have to fake an income!)...

Have got amymore chestnuts for us because your diatribe has kept me rather amused for the last couple of days

Try getting a certification from your Thai wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/friend's embassy in your homecountry of your Thai wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/friend's income in Thailand and that will keep you much more amused and for much longer than a couple of days.

Any more smiling blind daydreaming Thai apologists need further clarifications?

The old NON-IMM Os spouses of Thai citizens were getting (the 20k and later 50k in the bank) could did qualify for PR.

Spotted another mistake due to the hurry I usually write in (besides the already pointed out "20k and later 50k" being "200k and later 400k"), it's not "could did qualify for PR" but, of course, "did not qualify for PR".

Archived