Why I'm Betting On Barack Obama's Victory

JayT

So I guess I already won that botten, eh HH? :neener:

Cheers,

SD

OOOOPS! Well, bet rescinded. Thank gawd you didn't take me up on it. :rotl::rotl::rotl:

Just tell me SD, you gonna put a bottle up that the U.S. will attack IRAN while GWB is in office?

Your "rep" is on the line here, mate. You backed out of your original "bet" that GWB would attack IRAN by August a year ago. Now, are ya gonna go for the JW Black or just laugh at my 4 a.m. mistake?

HH

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA Presidents have an extraordinary amount of power, especially related to war. For example, for probably at least 5 decades, USA Presidents have had the power to launch a nuclear attack, if they wanted to without permission.

THe Executive Order the President can use, could be used to start a war. These orders have taken on greater importance over the years which grants the President more power. For example:

On July 17, 2007 GWB gave an executive order called "Executive Order: Blocking Property of Certain Persons Who Threaten Stabilization Efforts in Iraq" which some have took to mean that if anybody protests against the Iraq war, their assets can be seized.

Your "rep" is on the line here, mate. You backed out of your original "bet" that GWB would attack IRAN by August a year ago. Now, are ya gonna go for the JW Black or just laugh at my 4 a.m. mistake?

OK, I'll let you slide this time since I'm a Dem...a GOPer would not, I understand, but I'm fair. Ya, that's WHY we always lose, but at least we can sleep at night. Does that make me a "sucker" or an ethical, honest human being? :dunno:

You got my bet...19/01/09 as outlined earlier. And yes, if Israel attacks, it certainly COUNTS, as they are total puppets of the US, and do NOTHING without our approval! Unless the US withdrawal their billion dollar aid to them in the meantime. Then you win.

BTW, you never responded to my "magnum" bet...that bottle of La Grande Dame assuring a BO victory. Are we on, mate?

Cheers,

SD

Well, not only you change the date, but now want to include Israel? Forget it. I don't call that "honest". I call it typical Demo flip flopping. No deal. You'd just come up with some other lame Demo-type excuse to add stuff later.

Oh, and I wasn't responding to your latest magnum bet. I was referring to your bet you offered up in April/May, 2007 in which you pronounced that GWB would attack Iran by August, 2007.

Like I said before, you're starting to slip in the memory dept (real or intentional).I don't know if it's old age creeping up on ya, too much alcohol, or 3rd stage syph, but this is part of an exchange you had with Choc Steve on April 19, 2007:

" chocolat steve Said:

In any event, we are NOT going to go to war on Iran. Everyone keeps thinking Bush acts in a vacumn.

I'll bet you at bottle of yopur choice of booze (mine's JW Black) at Christie's on 33 that you are wrong. We'll (the USA) be blowing their shit up by August.

What a great bet. You have to accept. No one really loses...

Cheers,

SD"

:rotl::rotl::rotl:

HH

Given Obama's star power and incredible political machinery, he should be doing even better than he is. Though he gained a few points in the polls following his Berlin speech - and thanks in part to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's seeming endorsement of Obama's withdrawal plan - a new Gallup/USA Today poll shows McCain leading by four points among likely voters.

The easiest explanation is McCain's familiarity against a relative newcomer. But another possible explanation may be more instinctual. Obama is too good to be true.

Like an "American Idol" winner, Obama seemed to spring from the wings a fully formed celebrity. He knows all the right moves but, like the young superstar, there's something missing.

Obama may be easy on the eye and sonorous to the ear, but those qualities ultimately could hurt him among the less easily seduced.

Come November, the more reassuring image in voters' minds may not be the charismatic figure preaching global unity to a mesmerized Berlin throng, but an old warrior hashing out less cosmic concerns among regular Americans in a German cafe in Columbus.

-Kathleen Parker, Washington Post

"...Israel attacks, it certainly COUNTS, as they are total puppets of the US, and do NOTHING without our approval!..."

I will disagree, and say we all to often act like Israel's bitch, and cater to the Jewish voting block in the USA. The Republicans more so than the Dems.

Given Obama's star power and incredible political machinery, he should be doing even better than he is. Though he gained a few points in the polls following his Berlin speech - and thanks in part to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's seeming endorsement of Obama's withdrawal plan - a new Gallup/USA Today poll shows McCain leading by four points among likely voters.

The easiest explanation is McCain's familiarity against a relative newcomer. But another possible explanation may be more instinctual. Obama is too good to be true.

Like an "American Idol" winner, Obama seemed to spring from the wings a fully formed celebrity. He knows all the right moves but, like the young superstar, there's something missing.

Obama may be easy on the eye and sonorous to the ear, but those qualities ultimately could hurt him among the less easily seduced.

Come November, the more reassuring image in voters' minds may not be the charismatic figure preaching global unity to a mesmerized Berlin throng, but an old warrior hashing out less cosmic concerns among regular Americans in a German cafe in Columbus.

-Kathleen Parker, Washington Post

He is also black and has an "ethnic sounding" name.

I will disagree, and say we all to often act like Israel's bitch, and cater to the Jewish voting block in the USA. The Republicans more so than the Dems.

Huh? Jews in American vote Democrat. Look who's in the Senate. Just from California, Feinstein and Boxer. There are 11 Jews in the Senate. One is a Repubican. There are 26 in the House. One is Republican and one is independent.

But I do agree that we side too much with the Israeli's. Politicians are always saying how "important" to the USA the Israeli's are, yet I've never heard any of them mention worthy specifics.

HH

"...Jews in American vote Democrat..."

Not so sure on that, but you could be right. Plenty of very conservative (politically) Jews in the USA, and many may well vote republican. Plenty are socially liberal, but economically conservative, and that is what makes me think they would tend to vote republican.

But it has seemed historically that the republicans kiss the Israeli/Jewish ass a lot more than the Democrats do. Frankly, I think we need to seriously rethink or entire middle east polkicy, and our policies concerning Israel.

I think the following makes my point and kind of counters your belief that Republicans kiss the Jews ass more than the Demoncrats. If that were true, the reverse of the following would be evident.

"An overwhelming majority of American Jews - 73 percent - describe themselves as moderate or liberal; 23 percent label themselves as conservative. Only 19 percent voted for Bush in the 2000 elections, but there are indications that Jewish support for the Republican Party is on the rise."

http://www.jcpa.org/jl/vp509.htm

HH :)

Archived