High Tourist Season for Thailand - how bad will it get?

Tiger Moth

We certainly do live in interesting times. The pound is my currency of note(sic), I get paid in it. Hard to believe it is so weak against the Baht right now, or rather just surprised at the Baht's 'apparent' strength. With the gloom spreading East, now they are starting to realise just how interconnected all of the worlds economies are, can the local currency maintain its strength? Where will it be in another 6 months?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fly a lot - and contrary to others I have seen a downturn - PP to Bangkok this week - plane 1/4 full

Hongkong - Bangkok today: around 70% full, good for high season. however lousy occupancy in business class as more companies let their staff fly coach!

Holidaymakers from a Western country who have enjoyed the priviledge to spend their holidays in the same hotel with a group from China will never come back to this hotel or Thailand . Chinese groups are an absolute and final pain in the arse turning a friendly Thai sanuk ambience into a tourist Gulag before the day is over.The Thais hate them from the bottom of their heart . This remark is not racial but based on a completely different idea how to behave in public . Apart from low revenues originating from these fellows I doubt it very much that importing Chinese tourists is a fruitful idea apart from getting better stats.

More then 30%...IMO.

The Thais are in a tough time from what I see locally. The world economy is in the toilet. People will not let lose of $$$ in times on insecurity.

What are you talking about? :hmmm: The economies are no longer in the toilets, they are flushed down the drains. Shit happens - I am fucked, maybe? I need some KY.

Was on a flight Paris-Abu Dhabi-Bangkok last week.

Paris-AUH overbooked, was lucky to get upgrade to first because of that :) , all classes full, B777/300 to BKK also full (no first :( ).

There will be a boomerang effect after this high season, don't think this high season will be low, the next one will.

BTW, was in Patters this September, never saw the place that empty

There will be a boomerang effect after this high season, don't think this high season will be low, the next one will.

BTW, was in Patters this September, never saw the place that empty

As Shyguye said, many tourists have booked their holidays already and in Europe the crisis is just hitting main street and in the US the credit card debt tsunami is just building up.

Therefore probably not all who have booked an holiday in LOS will finally go there and those who don't (like me) will stay at home.

For the upcoming months it can only go down.

Archived