High Tourist Season for Thailand - how bad will it get?

Tiger Moth

I donâ??t really see a long term impact to tourism for this, no more long term then the tsunami was, and several hundred foreigners were actually killed in it. What was going to be a tough season anyway is going to be worse, but by this time next year, no one will remember this week and it wonâ??t impact anyoneâ??s decision to holiday in Thailand.

TH

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I donâ??t really see a long term impact to tourism for this, no more long term then the tsunami was, and several hundred foreigners were actually killed in it. What was going to be a tough season anyway is going to be worse, but by this time next year, no one will remember this week and it wonâ??t impact anyoneâ??s decision to holiday in Thailand.

TH

TH, I totally disagree and think you are 100% wrong. The tsunami was a natural disaster that people are prepared to make allowances for. This from outside Thailand makes the country look like an unstable banana republic. Most mongers will probably still go but as far as the "normals" go the Thai's have not shot themselves in the foot as usual but in the head this time. I think it will take years for their tourist industry to fully recover.

Simie.

Sorry but I fully agree with Thaihome.

Recent studies in Europe showed that no matter what the "catastrophic events" were the tourism industry was never affected for a very long period.

I remember the longest was about 6 months.

But I agree with Simie that Thai tourism industry is going to suffer for years -> due to the fact it is probably structurally unprepared.

(like the Spanish tourism industry)

People have less spending power and even the countries where the citizens traditionally saved on anything but the "holidays" now feel the hit.

2009 will be a very tough year for most countries and the economical effects will probably last well until 2011...

Thailand's tourism will suffer but not so much because of the PAD etc... but rather because of external elements.

Rather interestingly I am tempted to draw a parallel with what is happening here in Spain:

"Mass tourism" has declined sharply -> same kind of tourists going to costa brava or to Phuket.

But here, the Spanish tourism authority has taken drastic measures and (in collaboration with other ministries) is promoting "cultural tourism" which meets some growing success. (spectacular exhibitions of painting, archeology etc...)

TAT: Did nothing to my knowledge and even the only marketing campaign I saw here in Spain, France, Belgium was badly advertised...(if I want to find a nice beach, sun and sea then I don't have to go as far as Thailand to get it) -> they were trying to market a product available at a lower cost closer to the customers and in competition with far more marketing efficient destinations.

TIT

Drogon, the Thai's have been trying that for years, its called attracting "quality tourists" and it has'nt worked the way they wanted it to up untill now and I don't see them having anymore luck in an economic downturn, when the exchange rates have gone to shit and people percieve the country to be unstable?

Simie.

Agree, they tried to attract "quality tourists" but as they don't even know themselves what it means

(except "rich" and "spending a lot")

and the "quality tourists" I encountered who met these criterias were punters....

Anyway, TIT and this is very sad in this case, no matter if Thaihome or you are right (or maybe both)

cheers

:beer:

Well, if I was making the decision and it was between a country that had a civil disturbance that caused a week (or even 2 foul up at the airport)and not tourist even injured and a country that had a natural disaster that killed hundreds of tourists, I believe I would take a chance on the civil disturbance.

As was said, only time will tell and it is going to be hard to judge because of other factors that were in place post 2004 (in fact the opposite was in place)

TH

Drogon I think there is a large difference between natural catastrophe (like Tsunami) and civil - like war and Thailand's latest adventure.

Tourist treat the events quite differently.

That said I do remember a cousin wondering why I live in Thailand having heard we had bombs here but happy to spend every holiday where 100's lost Aussies and other Farang got killed by a single bomb attack :(

Agree, they tried to attract "quality tourists" but as they don't even know themselves what it means

(except "rich" and "spending a lot")

and the "quality tourists" I encountered who met these criterias were punters....

actually there are many hotels (and every year more) with rooms selling for 250 usd or more a night. there are thousands who pay more than 250 usd per night for accommodation only, still hundreds who pay over 500 usd per night!

there is quite a difference in spending among various types of tourists...

Archived