High Tourist Season for Thailand - how bad will it get?

Tiger Moth

Holidaymakers from a Western country who have enjoyed the priviledge to spend their holidays in the same hotel with a group from China will never come back to this hotel or Thailand .

BuBi

i am deeply shocked that you spent your holidays in a chinese tour group ridden 1.5 star hotel! you always deeply impressed fellow board members with your insider knowledge of a regular guest in one of the famous suites in the honorable hotel of hotels, the Oriental!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just about all the airlines have cut routes and the number of departures/arrivals from most airports. Some of the airlines have several of their airplanes in mothballs. If the airlines have cut back the number of passengers they can handle, this would reflect in the number of tourist visiting various countries including Thailand.

The number of tourists this year will probably be down quite a bit compared to last year but not by 50%...

The lower spending power (at least for people with euros, yen etc...) will mean people will spend less.

The full effects of the "real economy" crisis are yet to come -> 2009 will be a very bad year.

Interestingly, studies show that some countries populations are notorious for cutting on everything except their holidays in time of economic hardship...

Interestingly, studies show that some countries populations are notorious for cutting on everything except their holidays in time of economic hardship...

Yep, and I am willing to bet that one of those countries begins with 'Aust' and isnt next to Germany .. As long as my countrymen have access to credit, they will continue to spend like there is no tomorrow, IMO. Latest is that both the Reserve Bank and the PM have gone on record with 'Australia will not suffer a recession'. This has come after a month or so of the gloomiest predictions, so who knows where the crystal ball is that these soothsayers are using to predict the future. :crazy:

Waerth, thanks for the pointers to actual newspaper articles. A large part of the current catastrophe is that shareholders have panicked based on the *presumption* of doom. And we call the Thais an emotive, reactionary race ....

Germany is such a country. Germans love their holidays, but that doesn't mean that they don't cut back on spending.

The first cut will almost probably be expensive overseas trips, especially since the price for airplane tickets exploded and the EURO lost 13% in the recent weeks.

BuBi

i am deeply shocked that you spent your holidays in a chinese tour group ridden 1.5 star hotel! you always deeply impressed fellow board members with your insider knowledge of a regular guest in one of the famous suites in the honorable hotel of hotels, the Oriental!

A very unconstructive post , driven by the desire to prove that BuBi is a liar ; I reported your misbehaviour to the Leader this very moment . You will receive a lifetime ban , probably be castrated and must make your money as ladyboy in future .

I may tell you at this point that looking at my forthcoming cityholidays in Krungthep I try everything possible to avoid the Chinese New Year like the pest . They do not accept groups larger than 2 people at the Olenten at high season but 2 Chinese shouting at each other and taking 200 photos/minute are bad enough . They further seem to think the United States are the centre of culture and fashion which results in them wearing sneakers and baseball caps for breakfast ; I could go on and on , it is simply desasterous .

Archived