Will 'The Galt' go to jail?

Central Scrutinizer

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaddie raises a good point about an American being jailed in Thailand for something that is not a criminal offense in the US. I remember the outcry on the two notable cases of lèse-majesté in the past and how the foreign press and the Thailand bashers on the Internet screamed about that. Where are they now?

A quick scan of the Thailand forums and all still silent except here.

TH

Most western jurisdictions have statutory offences for criminal defamation. It is not only akin to Thailand.

I am not an American lawyer, and it does have 52 states but I would not be surprised that they also (each State) did not have similar laws as found in Great Britan, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, just to name a few, as to criminal defamation.

I quick Google search shows that only 17 of 50 states have criminal libel laws still on the books and the last known prosecution was a case in Kansas in 2002 and that is being appealed, couldn't find any update. 5 cases out of 14.5 million were filed in 2000.

Though on the books of many western countries, prosecutions are extremely rare.

TH

What about Washington D.C. To be perfectly technical, there are 50 states, the District of Columbia, several inhabited territories including Guam, Peurto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, United States Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Wake Island. Uninhabited territories include Midway Island, Johnson Atoll, Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island and Kingman Reef.

I don't know where the number 52 for States came from. I will admit I am certainly no wealth of knowledge about Australia's land holdings but I thought most people knew the U.S. had 50 states.

Archived