Am I right to be concerned, or am I a racist nazi?

spirit_of_town_hall

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alholk, what about poor old Malmo, thats not recognisable as a Swedish city now.

STH

Can't comment on that mate. Since I moved north 35 years ago I have been to Malmö twice. Even when I lived down south Malmö was called the biggest small town in Sweden.

Interesting that the commies had to build walls and place minefields to keep their own people in. Folks in the US are talking about doing the same thing - but to keep outsiders out!

Not all of us want to keep them out.

When the Irish came there was DRAMA. When the Italians came there was DRAMA. When the Puerto Ricans came there was DRAMA. When the Cubans came there was DRAMA.

And it was always the same: they take our jobs, they're destroying the fiber of our great country, blah blah blah blah.

I think there should be immigration controls and an intelligent proactive way of approaching the challenges. In America -- English should be a required language, just like the immigrants of old had to deal with. You're not transplanting your native culture to this geography, you're joining our culture. But honestly, a lot of the bullshit comes from coddled white suburbanites preaching a PC platform to make themselves feel good. This has been exploited by various groups to their own advantage -- and has resulted in the predictable conservative backlash. Both sides just annoy the fucking shit out of me.

Yeah, multiculturalism isn't some pretty rainbow like they teach in school... but it is fucking cool when it works. It's more like rivers crashing into each other.

It's a beautiful thing to have the richness of so many influences. And, even the volatile chemistry. Cheesy as it may sound, America wouldn't be shit without its history of immigration. Also, one other thing, the Asians I know in LA are about 10 times more patriotic and appreciative of the opportunity here than their whiny suburban caucasian counterparts. In other words, you boys... don't know what the fuck you're talking about sometimes.

Now, I'm going to go fix me a sammich.

:surprised:

Interesting that the commies had to build walls and place minefields to keep their own people in. Folks in the US are talking about doing the same thing - but to keep outsiders out!

Not all of us want to keep them out.

When the Irish came there was DRAMA. When the Italians came there was DRAMA. When the Puerto Ricans came there was DRAMA. When the Cubans came there was DRAMA.

And it was always the same: they take our jobs' date=' they're destroying the fiber of our great country, blah blah blah blah.

I think there should be immigration controls and an intelligent proactive way of approaching the challenges. In America -- English should be a required language, just like the immigrants of old had to deal with. You're not transplanting your native culture to this geography, you're joining our culture. But honestly, a lot of the bullshit comes from coddled white suburbanites preaching a PC platform to make themselves feel good. This has been exploited by various groups to their own advantage -- and has resulted in the predictable conservative backlash. Both sides just annoy the fucking shit out of me.

Yeah, multiculturalism isn't some pretty rainbow like they teach in school... but it is fucking cool when it works. It's more like rivers crashing into each other.

It's a beautiful thing to have the richness of so many influences. And, even the volatile chemistry. Cheesy as it may sound, America wouldn't be shit without its history of immigration. Also, one other thing, the Asians I know in LA are about 10 times more patriotic and appreciative of the opportunity here than their whiny suburban caucasian counterparts. In other words, you boys... don't know what the fuck you're talking about sometimes.

Now, I'm going to go fix me a sammich.

:surprised: [/quote']

Agree with a lot of this. American history is replete with 'its the end of the world as we know it' from various groups. Huge anti catholic sentiment amongst americans in the mid 1800s primarily due to irish immigration. Talk of the Pope being de facto leader of the U.S. if that continues. Its no surprise it took till 1960 get a catholic president.

That said, the one thing all the immigrants had in common for the most part were that they wanted to become 'american'. Asians, particularly the chinese have not assimilated or wanted to. The Japanese were far more willing to than the Chinese traditionally. Is it any wonder there is a chinatown in just about every american city of size and no Japanese town or little Tokyo? (LA has both).

The problem with some mexican and cuban americans and to some extent puerto ricans and I'm not counting other latinos: salvadoreans, etc. is that large segments of their community don't want to assimilate. They all have their reasons.

The latino influx has actually united blacks and whites in LA to some extent. I've been party to more than one whispered water cooler conversations about 'them' taking over and it was a mixed crowd of blacks and whites. Blacks have a lot animus against latinos in LA. Compton and the Watts section of south central LA are known as 'black areas' but the fact is that both are predominantly latino according to the census. Latinos in LA befriend me because I speak decent span-glish and I'm NOT from LA.

Immigration over a hundred years ago was not controlled for a while (there were laws that limited it eventually) and legal immigration is controlled now via lottery in some countries, etc. but they let in more numbers than the populace is comfortable with. The hypocracy of it all is that those that decided to let the deluge in usually don't or want to live amongst those they let in and associate with them if they are a nanny or landscaper.

As for as the UK, I know nada but have a few questions. Afro caribbeans have been in England for some time. Since the 1950s I believe. After a few generations the vast majority seemed very 'British' to me when I visited England. Are they considered 'British' by the white majority? I'd like to know. There are also a lot of Indians I saw that seemed just as 'British' as any white. They were as 'cockney' as anything. What is the view of those folks? Are they seen as one of 'us' by the majority?

The Pakistani youth seem particularly anti Brit in some numbers. Particularly in parts of the north and specifically in the midlands, Birmingham for example where they are in large numbers. I have read its primarily a lack of jobs and disaffection due to that. I've said in other threads the reason we don't have the same problem with Pakistanis and other muslims in America is because we at least had the forethought to grant visas to professionals, middle class, etc. The British didn't have much of a choice I assume because Pakistan was once part of the empire and were obligated to some extent to take in the poor ones with all others.

I'm not condoning racism but it is normal to have the 'they are taking over' mentality. Not saying its right, just normal. We can each make up our own minds as to what is right based on our own view. To illustrate my point, whites lived in south LA in the '50s said the same about the influx of blacks who migrated from Oklahoma, Texas and Mississippi. Now its the blacks in those same areas who complain just as bitterly about the latinos. I've heard the most vile references to latinos from LA blacks. Racially motivated fights are common in a lot of south central high schools.

Hey Steve,

I'll be quick, I'm sure I've worn-out my welcome on this topic. :)

I'm not condoning racism but it is normal to have the 'they are taking over' mentality. Not saying its right, just normal. We can each make up our own minds as to what is right based on our own view.

Yep. Yep. Yep. People are drawn to be in groups and sometimes it involves promoting their group over other groups. In our genes. No problem with that, it's even healthy to some degree... as long people control/channel it and use those tendencies as best possible instead of... the darker stuff.

That said, the one thing all the immigrants had in common for the most part were that they wanted to become 'american'. Asians, particularly the chinese have not assimilated or wanted to. The Japanese were far more willing to than the Chinese traditionally. Is it any wonder there is a chinatown in just about every american city of size and no Japanese town or little Tokyo? (LA has both).

So, a circle I run with in LA is mostly Asian, and most came here very young. Very educated, articulate, and.... ba da bing -- patriotic. I mean more patriotic than me. I mean a couple of these fuckers even voted for Bush (and came to sorely regret it).

One of these times I'll put a little more down. But I'm indebted to a couple of those friends for bailing me out when I was in a bad spot. I don't forget.

Ps. Lest I forget - nice post. Even though I don't agree with some of your and OH's and Flashermac's (actually, he's hard to pin down) assessment here, enjoy your guys' contributions.

Previous immigrants came to the country LEGALLY. My father's family are all "old stock" - 17th and 18th century emigrants to the British colonies. But my maternal grandmother was an immigrant from the Austrian Empire. My great grandfather was an immigrant from England, and my great grandmother's parents were Gaelic-speaking Irish immigrants.

After WWI, certain quotas were established. Only so many immigrants could enter each year. The problems today are caused by the ILLEGALS. These people largely do not wish to become assimilated. They demand special schools to preserve the culture they left behind, plus expect benefits simply because they managed to sneak in. That is a far cry from the immigrants from the past - and also those admitted as refugees from war zones.

p.s. I remember talking to a black guy from LA who told me his neighbourhood had almost completely been taken over by illegals from Mexico and Central America. The guy was clearly pissed off. He said the Salvadorians raised chickens and sheep in their backyards, in clear violation of the zoning codes.

Archived