What IS The Latest News On Red Shirts

bust

NGO: Stop arbitrary interrogation

The Asian Legal Resource Centre (ALRC) submitted a four-page plea to the Human Rights Council on Tuesday urging the global body to condemn Thailand over the use of the emergency decree’s arbitrary power ordering people to “report†to government officials.

The Hong Kong-based ALRC, a non-governmental organisation with general consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council, called for the UNHRC currently in the 14th session to urge the Thai government stop using arbitrary interrogation and instead comply with the terms of ordinary domestic law, and match its obligations under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Such arbitrary orders for interrogation of civilians in army camps and other facilities, said the ALRC, have over many decades been associated with gross and widespread human rights violations in Thailand.

[color:red]The organisation cited other arbitrary cases such as Thaksin's “war on drugs†in 2003 when many people who were called to police stations under similarly arbitrary orders were subsequently murdered and also emergency regulations in the deep South.[/color]

In the current protest in Bangkok, the Emergency Decree on Government Administration in a State of Emergency (2005) invoked in April has given blanket powers to the state to take a wide range of actions including making arrests, censoring the press, restricting movement and using armed force, according to the ALRC.

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), an agency of nebulous identity that is being run out of an army base under the authority of the Internal Security Operations Command, used the Emergency Decree to arbitrarily order citizens identified as dissident or potentially dissident, to “report†themselves and submit to questioning by the authorities, the NGO said.

Orders for individuals to “report†began subsequent to the government’s announcement of the existence of a plan to topple the monarchy. The alleged existence of the plan was made both within the context of the current standoff and that of increased accusations and prosecutions of alleged crimes of lese-majesty throughout 2008, 2009, and 2010, the ALRC said.

The denial of the right of citizens to bring lawyers with them represented one such violation, and belied the government’s own claims to be operating according to law, the NGO said.

They called for the Human Rights Council to strongly condemn the use of the emergency decree to arbitrarily order persons to “report†to the CRES.

The UNHRC, they said, should also urge the Thai government to cease using this method, reveal the circumstances under which it drew up the diagram of alleged plotters to overthrow the monarchy, and the evidence upon which it was based, and cease imposing needless restrictions on the freedom of speech at this critical juncture in the country’s modern history, as without the free circulation of critical information, the risks that power would be used arbitrarily and in further violation of human rights were greatly exacerbated.

Rink

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Govt: Talks only after rally ends

5:27pm

The government will hold talks with the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship only after it ends its protest rally, PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnongtoey announced in a televised statement at the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) on Tuesday.

He was responding to the UDD's acceptance of Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondej's offer to mediate talks with the government.

The acceptance of Mr Prasopsuk's as mediator was announced by UDD co-leader Nathawut Saikua on Tuesday.

Mr Sathit said the government had all along adhered to the line of solving political conflict through negotiation. [color:red]However, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's reconciliation plan had been rejected by the UDD, apparently on directions from abroad by a "manipulator".[/color]

He said the government attached importance to the senate speaker's offer to mediate talks and the prime minister had called Mr Prasopsuk to thank him and explain the government's standpoint - that the government will negotiate only after the UDD has ended its rally.

Mr Prasopsuk had acknowledged this standpoint, Mr Sathit said.

The government and CRES wanted to return peace to society and minimise losses, but the situation had become more serious, with considerable impacts, and the only way of solving the problem was to end the rally so that terrorists would not be able to use the protests as a pretext to act against the authorities.

Acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said the government would continue with its operation to force an end to the rally.

Mr Prasopsuk said he would send three senate representatives to discuss this matter with UDD leaders this evening.

Rink

Uh, Thaksin was the "caretaker" PM because he couldn't get a coalition. He would not leave nor call new elections. So he effectively staged a coup before the army did.

Regardless, you are a perfect red. You simply cannot or will not tell anyone what would make you happy. You just go back to platitudes and meaningless talking points. No measurable objectives.

Wrong, an election was already scheduled for October 2006 (though it was likely to be postponed to November because the Electoral Commission was dissolved and members not yet replaced), then it was canceled by the coup in Spetember.

And Thaksin didn't need a "coalition" because he basically had the whole parliament TRT due to other parties boycotting elections. He then became caretaker after the constitutional court invalidated the elections for some absurd motive about voting booths.

Please explain the political reasons for holding an election 2 years before your term is up just because you think you may win?

I don't think common sense or political strategy may be your strong suit, perhaps you should back off now.

TH

I will let Abhisit answer to that :

‘For the people, just one person or a hundred thousand, to come out to make demands of the government is not against the principles of democracy, especially when there are suspicions that the administration of the country has violated the law and the rights of the people, or is corrupt. In developed countries, these issues do not need to be dealt with by the law, but by a political sense of responsibility.

‘In Korea, when [the government] recently came up with a free trade policy to import beef, hundreds of thousands of people rose up. The government resigned. It has to be admitted that the PAD protests result from frustration which the people have long been harbouring.

‘Even if [the government] deals with [the protesters] once and for all, it will never be able to destroy the concept of resistance.’

‘Today, I have to say what displeases the ears of members of my party and other MPs, who always dislike the idea of a House dissolution. But a House dissolution is part of the show of spirit. If the PM does not want to take responsibility alone, the whole Parliament will take the pain together’.

By the way, France's Chirac made exactly the strategic blunder you're describing when he dissolved parliament amidst a general strike that crippled the country. Bad strategy? Clearly. But also a display of democratic responsibility.

Weng just told Banharn to get stuffed, that he doesn't understand the situation.

So J2's in good company. None of the reds have any idea what they want (or won't publicly admit the obvious).

They want an election. What part of that don't you understand?

The minute you hear this you come out with all this "logic" as to why they can't have one. Then you say again... what do they want?

They want an election.

I just saw your... 10X more damage to the economy comment, I must start reading your stuff more carefully.

Do you have any current figures to justify that?

Please don't mention tourism, that's been trashed since the ..... uh oh, sorry.

By the way, I don't care either way, my income will only be effected (upwardly) if the baht crashes. And my Mrs is a rabid Democrat so at least one of us here isn't getting their political advice from their knob polisher.

Reading that the Royal family will "sponsor" the funeral of this Redshirt bloke made me almost fall from my chair considering the meaningfulness of such a decision . They should in theory regard him as a traitor me thinks . From a distant point of view ( though not as distant as OH's ) this sounds like a massive approach on softening the lines on the battlefield .

Anyhow : is Patpong accessible or do I have to worry seriously ??

Archived