normal life?

buddha

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buddha,

Nice to hear from you again and glad to see that you have found a level of life that fits in with your perception of reality. I admit that I may have given you a rough ride previously during your BKK phase, but only because your postings reminded me of the stupid mistakes I had previously made along the way.

When I was on the slippery slope I didn't listen so when you were living slightly alternative I never expected you to listen either, good advice is something that is understood in retrospect but at the time seems like your parents nagging. As my dear Grandfather once said to me "M it is better to regret something you have done rather than regret not doing it at all"

I find it quite amusing how people are using this thread to try to define "Normal Life", what is normal? I used to think 16 weeks in the Middle East Desert 4 weeks home in Thailand on a Hedonistic rampage then back to the sandbox was normal since it fit into the MO of the people I associated with at the time. Probably nowadays 99.99% of the people back in my home country would define my life as abnormal probably due to the fact that it is outside of their concept of what is attainable.

Stay positive and value the lessons learned from your experiences, never let the buggers know why you are laughing at them!

Happy Holidays

....As my dear Grandfather once said to me "M it is better to regret something you have done rather than regret not doing it at all"....

M, I think your dear ole granpappy just might have borrowed that pearl of wisdom off Alfred Lord Tennyson, who in 1850 wrote:

"....Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

Yeah, yeah - Patpong Lover. I think the same about you every time I give that shithole a chance.

Buddha - you say you got interview after interview. As a matter of interest, didn't your months off (I don't know how many) bother them? IT folks are usually a staid lot. What did you say you'd been doing in Thailand all that time? :)

Yeah, yeah - Patpong Lover. I think the same about you every time I give that shithole a chance....

Actually I was thinking about you tonight! I was watching The Sopranos 6.2 and Chris (Tony's nephew), who is a recovering alcoholic and drug user, comes into the bar and goes over to apologise / make up with Pauli. Chris orders a soda water or something like that but Pauli has a go at him for not being a 'real man' and having an alcoholic drink. Chris relents, orders what Pauli's drinking (looked like vodka) and before long he's had a good bevy and leaves well pissed. Anyway later on, under the influence, he shoots someone dead.

And that made me think of you. Why? Because as you said in your reply to Buddha, you'd rather see him or presumably anyone else in his position wasting their life away on booze, drugs and prossies, rather than doing the 'boring' thing and trying to sort themselves out.

What a :wanker: you must be. :thumbdown:

(I meant to click reply to samak, not liquidflux)

He probably is getting personal, as in directing abuse at the poster rather than the post. Either that or he's addicted to using that icon. I don't care but it's KS's board.

Munchie, you start a sentence by saying "I was watching The Sopranos 6.2..."

So it's fair to say that you enjoy watching dysfunctional, non-normal behaviour? After all, it's a series all about that. And you're so interested in it that you're on series 6...

A bit hypocritical of you then, isn't it? You, like everyone else, find this sort of behaviour more entertaining to watch than people cleaning themselves up and working quietly in IT.

And yet you can't stand a tiny little taster of it in real life? From someone that we hardly know (and many people think is really a windup!) From someone who prostrated himself for our entertainment? Assuming he isn't a windup, Buddha can't have been that close to the edge anyway if he's lucid enough to post on the board about his experiences and discplined enough to change. He always struck me as a wannable Hemmingway - the sort of guy who likes to write and play up his experiences in his writing - but, crucially, he never really intended to pull the trigger.

You're also getting rather serious and emotional over two characters you don't even know - me and buddha. In fact, I'm living the former life of buddha at the moment. (I've noted the similarities before.) Are you going to get all emotional and supportive when the time comes with me too? How sweet! :) I love you, big man! :hug:

Buddha, I am curious about how IT recruiters and prospective employers reacted to your time in Thailand. What did you or they say about it, if anything? Did they regard it suspiciously? Was it even mentioned? In my experience, they're usually a pretty conservative lot, preferring that you stay up to speed rather than taking lots of time off. Or was the market so bright that they didn't care?

Archived