WARNING: Ekkamai shakedown!!

dddave

CTO,

agree...and I tend to do this when I'm in Bkk (or elsewhere) and leave the original locked in my Hotel safe.

I also scan a copy of all relevant documents and email them to my Hotmail account, so in the event of losing anything I can easily access all the data from wherever I am

But, in dddave's case, given that he was coming back from Pattaya, how do you avoid carrying your passport with you??

Also be interested to hear from dddave if the BIB were just randomly "picking targets" or if they were specifically working over the Pattaya Bus??

Whatever, it's not a nice situation and just shows that we probably all need to be more careful because if this is "generating revenue" it sure as hell ain't gunna stop.

Cheers DS

I think I fit a "profile" they were looking for: older (but still hansom) farang, traveling with a younger woman; much more likely to be carrying "V".

I posted my experience on a Pattaya forum as well and several responders related similar experiences at Ekkamai.

I carry my passport because I frequently rent a motorbike there and they usually will not accept a copy.

Ironically, I to usually get off the bus at On Nut, this time I decided to get off at Ekkamai because I wanted to go to the nearby "BIG C" before heading home. Wrong place, wrong time!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Immigration law on this point is not very specific.

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom :

1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a

genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.

Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial Regulations.

Without wishing to come across as a bar stool lawyer the immigration act states that legal documentation is required to be in the Kingdom but there is no statement that the original documents have to carried about the person at all times. It could be argued that document used in lieu of passport could apply to a photocopy, or a reciept from a foreign embassy in Thailand if your passport was in for a Visa Application / Renewal, but as CTO rightly stated who wants to be arguing with BiB when on a night out.

I have NEVER seen in writing a law that states "Passport has to be carried at all times".

Here is a link to Thailand Immigration Act for those interested.

yes indeed! i am used to handle far more intellectual stuff than Thai Law and its interpretation by self proclaimed farang bar stool lawyers and other pettifoggers! :neener:

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

The most intellectual thing I have ever seen you try to do is argue with Torneyboy ... and even he whips your ass!

I think I fit a "profile" they were looking for: older (but still hansom) farang, traveling with a younger woman; much more likely to be carrying "V".

I posted my experience on a Pattaya forum as well and several responders related similar experiences at Ekkamai.

I carry my passport because I frequently rent a motorbike there and they usually will not accept a copy.

Ironically, I to usually get off the bus at On Nut, this time I decided to get off at Ekkamai because I wanted to go to the nearby "BIG C" before heading home. Wrong place, wrong time!

Thanks mate,

as they say ssshit happens.... :dunno::cussing::dunno:

Pity to see this thread, in which you are alerting people to a scam with potentally serious (& expensive) consequences, turn into something more suited to the "Useless" thread!!!

Anyway, upside is that when I get there I won't have to come visit you in the "Monkey House"

Look forward to catching up soon

Cheers DS

Pity to see this thread, in which you are alerting people to a scam with potentally serious (& expensive) consequences, turn into something more suited to the "Useless" thread!!!

Anyway, upside is that when I get there I won't have to come visit you in the "Monkey House"

Look forward to catching up soon

Cheers DS

Sorry about that DS, Samak asked for links to pertinent laws and when presented with such with my comments to have a debate on a grey area of the law went of on a tangent, at least he demonstrates the proverb "Empty Vessels Make Most Noise"

To bring the thread back on track, as dddave admitted he was in possesion of Type 4 Restricted Narcotic as defined by Controlled Drugs Classification Thailand Cannabis is Type 5 and carries less of a charge.

It could of been far worse than the 10,000 THB tea money, dddave could have been charge with possesion of a Controlled Substance deported and declared personna non gracia so at 10K he got of light. The police know this and as such any offence a farang is found to be committing has its price dependent on the severity, and as crazy as it may seem to us possesion of unprescribed Vit V or Kamagra is the same classification as LSD in Thailand. (read the Link if you don't believe me)

Its a known fact that Thai police are underpaid and under equipped and they make it up via shakedowns, as dddave said he was probably profiled as a victim of a shakedown based on the company he was with and where he had just arrived from, BiB could sniff a good earner, farangs in bus depots on average have more money about their person than the average Thai passenger and more to loose if they don't play ball.

dddave Chalk it down to experience and if you are going to break the law keep a low profile!

Archived