High Tourist Season for Thailand - how bad will it get?

Tiger Moth

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cannot be. Tourism is dead in Thailand. The facts speak for themselves.

:snowlaugh

TH

TH, yes its hardly a big surprise that flights are full at the moment seeing that the airport has been closed for the last 8 days and we are approaching the peak season when many people have booked tickets up to 10 or 11 months ago.

Many other people will already have trips booked for the latter part of the winter and will still come I'm sure? And I'm also sure that after christmas many mongers who think life revolves around a Thai bar stool will still book up for their next trip?

But what percentage of "normal" tourists do you think will have Thailand at the top of their list of posibble destinations after seeing the current chaos and hearing on the news that the place is politically unstable and possibly heading for civil war?

Simie.

[

But what percentage of "normal" tourists do you think will have Thailand at the top of their list of possible destinations after seeing the current chaos and hearing on the news that the place is politically unstable and possibly heading for civil war?

Simie.

That is were you will see the greatest falloff. Families are not going to come with their children to visit the temples, beaches, etc. knowing what just occurred and possibly putting them in unstable situations.

Even some of the hardcore mongers are putting off their trips not knowing what the next few weeks will have in store.

I think that if things keep quiet, it will still take a year before tourism returns to normal levels.

Are airline seats cheap from Europe? They are still very expensive from the US. You'd think that with oil at $50 a barrel and airlines hurting to fill flights that prices would come down but they haven't.

Two factors for the US carriers:

1. Capacity to Asia has already been cut to better match demand

2. Airlines bet (incorrectly) that oil prices would continue to go up. So the reduction in oil prices has had a negative affect on the US carriers P&L.

But what percentage of "normal" tourists do you think will have Thailand at the top of their list of posibble destinations after seeing the current chaos and hearing on the news that the place is politically unstable and possibly heading for civil war?

Simie.

I think in a couple of weeks this will have next to no effect on tourism at all providing that no more bad news from Thailand will make the headlines. Then this will very soon be a distant memory, along with other news we are bombarded with daily. And those who do remember will think that the chance of a "freak" incident like this happening again is next to nothing.

When deciding where to travel, it is price, the pictures in the travel-brochures and things like that that matters most. The general foreign tourist knows next to nothing about Thailand anyway except it is portayed as an excotic country with great beaches, safe, cheap and with friendly people. Nobody that goes to Thailand expect it to be comparable to Switzerland anyway, and that doesnt stop them from coming. It might even add to the attraction. I even think that most of the people who lost their trip this time, will at least consider Thailand the next time. It was not exactly war or terrorism that prevented them from going.

Still I do think that tourism in Thailand will take a hit, but this due to the state of the general world economy. Travel destinations closer to home will fare better in the near future.

Paillote - Who lost the plane back home 29. November

My thoughts as well. PAD chiefs already said if PPP/PT form and elect another PM they don't like they will be right back to closing the airports and other 'strikes'. You know of course PPP will form a new cabinet and party and have the seats to still control the senate and form a coalition with the same parties they already have. This is far from over I feel. 2009 will be a very bad year for tourism among other things for Thailand. Expect more of this in the coming months. Neither side will back down, and neither side care how badly this is affecting the country. Tourism you say? What's that? Punters will come, but the normal tourists will stay away in droves, especially if they close the airports again after opening up after the first fiasco. And next time, they'll close the Phuket airport as well I bet.

Well, the TRT/PPP just keep stoking the fire by appointing very controversial candidates. They *must* have someone who is not a Thaksin relative or senior adviser, right? So why not make a gesture and put that type of person in charge?

Cheers,

SD

Archived