High Tourist Season for Thailand - how bad will it get?

Tiger Moth

I have been given this issue some thought in the past 2 days. And I have revised my own opinion (my opinion is like an arsehole it could stink ;) ). First I thought it would have major long term implications but then I thought the following:

Egypt is suffering from major terrorism attacks with many tourists killed regularly. But people still go there in droves. If terrorism cannot bring down the tourism sector there than I feel the Airport occupation will have only short term effects as well. That is as long as the PAD doesn't repeat it.

So there you have it Waerth's opinion .... so flame me ;)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If terrorism cannot bring down the tourism sector there than I feel the Airport occupation will have only short term effects as well. That is as long as the PAD doesn't repeat it.

And of course if they do do the airports again, that's a guaranteed drop in tourism. :)

No real idea about Thai sea-export volumes but there are not even any major lines calling Thai ports , all cargo is shipped to Singapore to catch the boats to Europe or elsewhere . :dunno:

For the current high season they should suffer big losses , too late to repair . But next year it's all forgotten unless they block Patpong .

Bubi is mostly correct - most thai sea exports are using "Feeder Vessels" to transit points like Singapore, Hong Kong, Port Klang and Kaohsiung. Nothing wrong or bad about that, just really location and shipping lanes.

Open up the Kra Isthmus canal and everything changes.

I believe in my lifetime that this will be built.

Take a look at Laem Chabang Port on Google Earth,

13-03-39.00 N 100-54-05.70 E and you may well be suprised at the size and its actual capacity. Also all around the area east of Sukhumvit along Highway 7 there are quite a few container yards.

The reason why Highway 7 was upgraded to 3 lanes all the way was not so that farang sex tourist to make it to Pattaya in less than 2 hours but to cope with the increased amount of container traffic now that BKK port is being run down and up until a few weeks ago I was commuting that route every week for 3 years, believe me commercial traffic far outweighs private vehicles.

Has vote buying been invented by Thaksin or is it national heritage ? By the way whenever I complain talking to Thai people about corruption in the kingdom none of them are interested .

The Australians are fairly good at vote buying, but here they call it supporting the local community! Amazing how just before an election, visits to the marginal seats end up with promises of huge injections of money for local projects.

The Thai system of buying votes is at least more 'honest'!

Archived