High Tourist Season for Thailand - how bad will it get?

Tiger Moth

Yes Samak, it is is called market segmentation in the tourism industry. (and I know quite a few board members who also book in 4-5 stars hotels for some bedroom tourism)

:neener:

I also agree that many "tourists" (following TAT definition of a tourist) not being punters and just being businessmen/executives.

But TAT wanted/wants to increase their "quality tourists" without ever giving their "criterias" except "spending power"...so to create a global marketing strategy it seems rather difficult to me. (in addition to spending too much money on badly targeted marketing campaigns)

anyway, time will tell and I wish that Thailand's tourism will prosper but I don't think it is taking the right way for strategic reasons

:dunno:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You overestimate the "general awareness" of most tourists.

Of course it is difficult to ignore that a country has problems when its main airports are blocked by protesters and make the headlines.

But political problems never stopped tourists as most of them don't even know there are such problems -> they go on holiday.

Now, let's compare what happened in Thailand with what happened in India -> I find shocking the difference of treatment between the two situations.

To my knwoledge there were not many foreigners killed during the PAD/UDD show?

TH - going on comments from people in Australia (this is our major holiday time) they don't want to risk coming here and being stuck here. Simple as that.

If the unrest had remained at parliament house then they'd still come - as it happened at the airport - they decide to stay home.

I can't blame them.

My mum who is 83 normally spends xmas with us - she won't, now she's a pretty tough old cookie wonders around China Town on her own all day, walks from Ploenchit to Fortune!

Yet she is very worried if she came (she isn't now) she'd get stuck at the airport and she's too old to worry about things like that.

"There was heaps of Aussies over there," Ms Chaisty said in the arrival lounge at Brisbane airport on Wednesday.

"I'm not going back.

"It was very disorganised and chaotic and it's nice to be home.

We have had many cancellations for Thailand ..right through the Christmas /New year period

As others quoted, tourists have a short memory. After a catastrophic event like the Tsunami in LOS or a bomb attack at tourists in Egypt the tourist numbers only went down for a few months. BUT it might take much longer to reach the same peak numbers like before the negative events - especially when tourist hear about trouble frequently.

And it also depends how many tourists are affected. Bali tourism never really recovered from the terrorist attack. And from LOS there are now thousands of tourists returning to their home countries who have stories about delays and chaos to tell.

Entirely different story . France is regularly hit by nationwide strike either train or airtraffic control . Easy to avoid by choosing alternative means of transport , French tourism is typically " local " , much fewer people use the plane to get into France for holidays . There is no gateway like BKK airport for French tourism .

More than that , French strikes are mostly orchestrated to keep the country breathing which was different with the freedon fighters in BKK . A group of people trying to close Paris main airport would meet police forces very soon .

Archived