High Tourist Season for Thailand - how bad will it get?

Tiger Moth

Or, to paraphrase a friend on another board, "Am I the only one who's surprised that Sondhi is holding a protest closing ceremony at the airport when he should be arrested on myriad criminal charges?"

Doesn't matter which side you're on, what the PAD did was abominably criminal and destructive.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand has had its problems before and got over them very quickly. But none in recent years have had quite the negative impact on its image that this has IMHO. I don't know about other western countries but in the UK Thailand is being portrayed as a volatile and politically unstable country (which of course it is). And whilst many such as the mongers and ex ex-pats coming back for holidays etc will still come regardless, many of the normal family tourists will not. The other thing that amazes me when some people say it will have no effect on tourism is that they seem to be implying it is all over. Its far from over in my book I think a lot more trouble of one sort or another to come in the months ahead.

Simie.

Its far from over in my book I think a lot more trouble of one sort or another to come in the months ahead.

I could not agree with you more, Simie - the constitutional court has let the genie out of the bottle, IMO. I dont know enough about the Thai people to say where it will go from here, but you dont need a PhD to see that there are a lot of very pissed off people in red who would like to vent their anger on someone. Lets hope I'm wrong.

The naive reaction to PAD's departure from the airport reminds me of the wild rejoicing on various media channels when the market lifts by 4-5% after days of losses. There is no long-term view attached to a 30-second sound bite.

Having said that, I think there are many loyal, resilient tourists from Scandinavia and even Germany, not to mention the drunken Brits who won't even be aware the whole thing happened, as long as airline seats are cheap enough.

Are airline seats cheap from Europe? They are still very expensive from the US. You'd think that with oil at $50 a barrel and airlines hurting to fill flights that prices would come down but they haven't.

You are right though, the price of the ticket is the biggest factor on whether I go to Thailand or not. By the way, what was this thing that happened?

Archived