Not Sure How To Handle This One

bust

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, maybe i over reacted, but when you have worked with thousands of victims and offenders, you know there's usually no smoke without fire.

Many times I've seen the heart breaking sight of a victim of abuse go through the lengthy interviews, be examined by doctors and go to court, only for the case to collapse. It takes extreme courage for many victims to go through that. Reliving the abuse by recounting it. Having to face their abuser, having something to do with them again. It's torture.

When the case falls it is like they aren't believed and the sense of powerlessness can be overwhelming. Many victims of abuse self harm or make attempts on their own life.

So, sure, retain your scepticism, because sometimes there are those who will lie, but more often than not the allegation will be true. That's just how it is. Citing some examples doesn't change this.

As it stands now do I believe her.....100% yes.

Will I do something about it....possibly.

What will I do.....not sure.

Probably the easiest way is to look the guy up and meet him, if all is true he will talk to you

a) because he knows who you are and from the way she speaks about you, you are a person to respect because you know a lot about her

B) he knows you know and you could easily turn him in if he runs

He might admit it in the conversation, trying to play it down and even if he doesn't admit it I am sure you are bright enough to read between the lines and get a "biased" but good picture about the guy.

Informing his employer or the authorities will make him loose his job, there are doubts from some board members, in farang land the guy would be arrested already and nobody would doubt the woman with the good job. It narrows down to what you believe and probably that's why you should meet the guy in person to reassure your believes are correct and last but not least if you are really 100% doubt free and believe this girls story as it is and there isn't the slightest chance of a scam you should inform the authorities and his employer because then it would be the right thing to do!

If you've seen them parading accused offenders on TV before they've gone to trial, you'll know.

I missed your post, but I guess we're thinking alike here! I do think the underlying principle is still, "innoncent until.." but I guess it gets lost on da police. But like OH says, it's not a whole lot better in some western countries as well. And money talks as well. See Madoff et al.

Archived