can I afford her?

thai3

"upcountry kids dont read books or ride bikes"

gf comes from the poorest neighborhood of a Buriram rice farmer's village (cannot afford a TV)

her younger sister reads books and prefers books to TV

transportation of all the kids in the neighborhood are bicycles, they ride them to school every morning and they ride them to go to the rice fields

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick,

True, we do not know how much Thai3 earns. But we do know, roughly, how much Thai3 will have to pay to support a wife and child in his home country. And Thai 3 has told us that he can afford this.

Since the cost of supporting a child in any western country (that I know of) is more than 6,000 baht per month, then Thai3 by his own statement can afford to send 6,000 baht to month to the family for the child's support if the child is to remain with the family.

And if Thai3 truly cannot afford to send 6,000 baht per month for the child's support, then he was incorrect in telling us that he can afford to support his fiancee and her child.

Grabii

Stickman said:

"How can you afford to invite your gf to your country if you can't even afford to send 6000 baht to her family?!?"

With all due respect, we do not know how much Thai3 earns. Not everyone on this board pulls in a huge income, even if they are in Farangland.

Stick

With all due respect, we do not know how much Thai3 earns.

Yes, but he says himself that he could take care of her if she comes over. If you can take care of an extra person in farangland, then you can also save 6000 baht per month, IMO and IME. ::

Not everyone on this board pulls in a huge income even if they are in Farangland.

I know, I haven't a huge income neither.

In my country even someone living on social help could send 6000 baht per month.....

Best regards

great social welfare you must have over there in Switzerland! In my home country 6000 baht would be about 1/3 of the monthly welfare...doubt many could afford to give that away.

in any case, i don't think main issue here is about the exact amounts to send (despite the very specific thread title). it's about a whole lot more than just the amount. With this in mind, I don't think it's very productive to bash thai3 for not sending 6000 baht.

Naiv,

Why don't you question the 6000 baht request? Should not the GF do a budget to show where the 6000 baht goes? Jasmine has said before that many Thais, especially the poor, have bad money management skills. Maybe the true breakdown is 3000 for food, clothing, shelter, and 3000 for girls, whiskey, and gambling.

6000 baht would be about 1/3 of the monthly welfare.

Here it is more like 1/7.....

I don't think it's very productive to bash thai3 for not sending 6000 baht.

Hmm, ok. But there is still the question what is really his problem! And I believe to remember that he told his would-be wife that he can't send these 6000 baht.

I have some ideas why he told her this, but I totally understand his wife and her provisos (correct word?).

Best regards

I take your point, but itvery much depends on the individual situation. How much contact has she now woth him? I do agree that ideally, the child should live with its mother, but it also depends on the relation she has with her child now, its age , its relation with the family back home etc. Can't really generalise.

I do know my ex GF Nok had a 3-4 yr old girl, being brought up in Taiwan by her (late) husbands family. She was missing her girl enormously, but somehow had been convinced by her in-laws that the child would be better off in Taiwan then in Thailand. I never quite understood how she could have agreed to that, except that maybe she was 'bought off'. Her late husband was only child, so this was the only grandchild. From an asian perspective of extended family, it maybe easier to accept, I found it incomprehensible at the time.

On average, a girl getting a new job just after graduating from a few years at a university in BKK, will have her making 10,000 a month (in BKK). Given that, 6,000 a month for the care of a single child up-country, would seem a bit excessive. Cost of living is cheaper there, than in BKK, for many items.

What anyone wants to send, is up to them, but that would have the child living in relative high style, if from a poor family, living in Isaan. It is close to being equal to the amount of money that would be earned working in a factory there (upcountry), full time.

HT

Archived