Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

unit731

Agree somewhat but if a kid isn't happy with learning an instrument, something else can be fed his/her way so they can learn. Forcing a kid to do something like learn an instrument will not work if they aren't cut out for it. Have them learn something they like or have an interest in. Teaching them something can be made into a game but they still learn. Hard to turn learning the piano into a game. You either practice hours on end and learn it or you don't.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My nephew was forced to study piano. He was brilliant at it and could have had a music scholarship to a name university. He refused it, since he HATES the piano. All those years forcing him to play were wasted - or maybe worse. If left alone he might actually have liked the piano. As it is now, the grand piano sits idle in the parlour at home - hasn't been touched in years.

So what is the point of forcing it on a kid? The Chinese seem to regard their children as money making machines. Money is all that counts - that plus doing socially prestigious things like playing classical music on the piano.

p.s. Those poor kids! :shocked:

<< Chua, whose ethnic Chinese parents emigrated to the United States from the Philippines, published her third book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother in 2011. The book is a memoir in which Chua explains her views on parenting, specifically as it relates to her claims of being a typical Chinese parent. Chua, whose husband is Jewish, has stated that [color:red]her children speak Chinese, but they are "raised Jewish[/color]". >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Chua

Link

:content:

<< Author Amy Chua has created a stir with an article claiming “Chinese Mothers†are superior to western ones.

Chua extols the virtues of strict parenting. [color:red]Her daughters were never allowed to play with friends, have sleepovers or watch TV.[/color]

She also boasted of how she coerced one of her daughters into mastering a difficult piece of music.

The article has provoked a fierce debate, with some praising the model of parenting Chua describes.

While others have labeled Chua a bully, suggesting that her children will grow up disturbed and rebellious. >>

Sorry, I think that most parents fail to challenge their children. Play is OK, but let's face it, the main reason for childhood is training to be an intelligent and productive adult.

Way to many people I know fail personally and see around simply to do this.

And yes, it is a very hard balance. But this really is the most important job of your life, innit?

I agree it is the most important job a person might ever have. But sadly, I think many, especially these days, take it to mean "...most important after ALL MY NEEDS are met..." Which is why we have so many fucked up kids.

As for forcing music on a kid...is that really any different than "forcing" math or Science or sports or whatever? I would love to be able to play the piano, but that opportunity was never there, nor was the money for lessons or a piano.

Not having any kids, I feel I am perhaps the best expert to speak on this matter as well as judge others who do have kids. I say expose kids to as many things as possible, see what they seem to take to. Some kids would rather play piano than ball, or read rather than run...encourage them to seek new challenges, and encourage them to do well in all areas, yes make it an expectation.

If they truely suck at something, find the the things they are good at, and work to be the best at that...nobody sucks at everything, and NO kid should be made to feel they do.

As for the racist cunt who wrote this book, fuck her for thinking she is a better mother simply because she is Chinese...or that the Chinese way is ALWAYS the best way, as if her white Jewish husband had something to do with it. It would be kinda funny if her kids got busted for whoring and drugs...

I did 7 years classical piano and was glad to ditch it at age 14, so I could be less of a poofta in the girls eyes.

But It stood me well in a couple of bands and in the ability to think and read music, it gave me the ability to think in an alternative point of view.

Mind you it only really became useful, recently.

Coss

Hi,

"Sorry, I think that most parents fail to challenge their children."

Perhaps, but there is difference between 'failing to challenge' and 'forcing'. I personally see absolutely no point in making a child learn an instrument (or other artistic skill, like ballet, painting, whatever) if they do not enjoy it.

What possible use is the ability to play the violin but despising it?

I can see the point in challenging them on real skills though (languages, math / science), skills that can actually be useful in getting a job.

Sanuk!

It is a matter of this women deciding what SHE wants her children to be and trying to make them fit her ideas. She doesn't give a shit what they might want. She reminds me of the parents of so many of the uni students here studying commerce and accountancy. I ask them if accounting isn't boring. The invariable reply - "YES! AND I HATE IT! But my parents make me study it." And this is the Chinese way she smugly gloats over.

BTW my nephew did get another scholarship instead of the music one. He was a state ranked CAD high school student and got to study what he wanted. He is a very talented graphic artist now. But his non-Chinese mother let HIM choose.

When I was a kid we had to learn Latin.

Years later I knew one of the few remaining Latin professors in the Australian University system and asked him...

"Apart from reading classical works in the Latin language, which a very small percentage of people will ever want to do, what was the use of making kids learn it?"

He said, "It promotes mental discipline, logic and memory training".

Archived