Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

unit731

KS

You are overlooking the fact that any child resents to learn anyhthing, it is the "Boys Will be Boys " attitude. How can you say to a child that certain things are good in the long run and others are bad.

My mother was a professional pianist playing for one the most renowned orchestras in the UK, Manchester Halle, and she taught me from an early age. My Father was the old rock guitarist in the 60's and thats my preferance, after intense piano lessons, I was allowed to have a blow out at the end of the lessons on the guitar.

To me, learning the arts from an early age had me preconditioned to learn, Maths Physics and Chemistry are my three main majors, what I know now stands me is good stead.

At the time I did resent the fact how "I was Driven" but now I am middle aged I do now respect what my parents did for me by pushing me to over and above my limit

Salur

Mekong

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"You are overlooking the fact that any child resents to learn anyhthing"

I disagree. Children are inquisitive by nature I think, and I think it is better to encourage those areas where they show interest than to push them into areas which you (i.e. the parent) thinks are best.

If a child enjoys swimming, why insist he learn to play the piano instead?

Sanuk!

<>

I disagree too, my daughter on her holidays takes herself off to the local school!

My son goes sometimes as well, they both volunteer for after school study.,

I agree with LK, you need to challenge the kids, expose them to things that maybe not now, but in the future they will like,

I had my daughter do a lot of Ballet, she wasn't keen on it, but it taught her great discipline, which was the real reason I had her learn.

Guest lazyphil

my daughter just yesterday got her crtificate/result from her classical ballet exam grade 2 from the royal academy of dance with a distinction, she LOVES ballet, been at it since she was 3, now 9.......got fed up with swimming lessons (pool was never heated well!) and bored of piano after a year so is giving the violin a shot

can someone send me the rule book in parenting please!!

It is a matter of this women deciding what SHE wants her children to be and trying to make them fit her ideas. She doesn't give a shit what they might want. She reminds me of the parents of so many of the uni students here studying commerce and accountancy. I ask them if accounting isn't boring. The invariable reply - "YES! AND I HATE IT! But my parents make me study it." And this is the Chinese way she smugly gloats over.

BTW my nephew did get another scholarship instead of the music one. He was a state ranked CAD high school student and got to study what he wanted. He is a very talented graphic artist now. But his non-Chinese mother let HIM choose.

I see this with a lot of the Chinese I work with, always trying to push their kids to be everything they, the parents failed at! I know one guy, who's wife quit her good paying job, to work for the school district of San Francisco, just so she/they could manipulate their 5 year old daughter into the Chinese speaking public school...you heard me, CHINESE SPEAKING PUBLIC SCHOOL. The kid will be taught in Mandarin, Cantonese and as a back seat, less important language, English.

Why? because it will give her the advantage to compete against all the other kids...father is an under achieving American born Japanese, who can ONLY speak English, aircraft mechanic and the mother is a secretary, who immigrated from Hong Kong...

The kid is also now at like age 6 or so, being forced to learn piano, "...she will appreciate it later...ALL the other kids in her school do it also, it is not any different..."

Had an old neighbor, cute American born Chinese girl. Only child, went to all these special schools as a kid, 8 kids to a class, parents are loaded. Played the piano, and at age 18 was given a choice, pursue music or science...she chose science, and got a PhD from Cal Berkeley, one of the top schools in the country at age 25...cute trick. Parents also forced her to learn the violin, which she said she hated, and will never touch again...

Ok, she was a success...drank a lot, was sexually promiscuous and had more issues with her mom and dad than you could point a shrink at...but hey, she had made her parents proud, that they could keep up with or thumb their noses at the "wong family" down the block...

Phil,

You are NOT a Chinese mother, so therefore, despite all your success, you are a lousy parent apparently...fuck those Chinese are some racist bastards, and they piss me off!

Archived