Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

unit731

Hi,

"But it is commonplace in the US as she would find out and never accept (nor would I)."

Actually pretty common place here as well. I'm sure you've heard of the 'little emperor' syndrome.

Sanuk!

See, that brings me back to the lazy Thai guy syndrome that I was yelled at for mentioning by folks saying I was wrong... :dunno:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill try and recap...LK said Thai men were basically allowed to do as they wished, while Thai women were pushed to go out and work and accomplish something. He pointed out that this was why so many Thai women went further in school, had better jobs and owned businesses.

So, assuming this is all true, and it most likely is, then one has to assume that LK has a point about pusjing kids to succeed. In a side by side with Thai kids, he is basically saying that those allowed to fuck off and be held to a lower expectation, generally do worse than those who are pushed to succeed and become something in life. He specifically said "Not talking about whores here..."

I think that was more less it...LK, sorry if I got part of it wrong...

Over all, yes, there is, as we determined previously, thanks to my post (where is the nose up breaking an arm patting myself on the back gremlin?) where in LK agreed with me, an expert on raising kids, that there was a fine line between nurturing/pushing a kid enough to succeed, and abuse/forcing them. We further agreed that raising kids is a tough job.

In summary, Raising kids is a tough job and a crap shoot, there is a fine line between guiding them and forcing them, and adults with inferiority issues should not have kids...in fact anyone wanting to have kids, should need approval from me. Bratty kids and incompetent /abusive parents piss me off...

Add me to the list of people opposed to the chinese buying outside of china. Sure it is a short term infusion of cash, but in the long run a very bad idea. These people are not the same as the Euros, or Arabs, or Japanese, and they will respond differently if it all goes bad for them.

I think it was LK who mentioned it but I would vote for 'balance'. Raise a child as you see fit but if I were a parent I would try and strike a balance. I would have them try piano but if they don't like it, they don't have to continue. My mom tried to force me to take piano lessons when the pianist at our church were offering very cheap lessons. I beggged her not to. My older brothers agreed. I'd get beat up in our neighborhood if word got out. Do I regret it? Somewhat but what is stopping me from learning it now? Nothing but its not so much of a regret that I want to take lessons.

I had to get good grades. I showed a knack for school and my parents expected that to continue. I was allowed to play video games and did as long as my grades held up. If they slipped I couldn't do certain things. I was in sports as a kid. My choice. I played them all, little league, pop warner, youth basketball and even a street hockey league in the Italian neighborhood nearby. Looking back I had a well rounded, happy childhood and going to college in my mind at the time was like going from Middle School to High School, something that was expected and this is in a family where I was the first one to get a college degree. As far as Latin I took it HS for a couple years and taking it helped me in english class immensely and did give me some discipline and because of the rarity of it and how much it was respected, college admissions always raised a respectful eyebrow seeing it on my transcript and it didn't hurt my being accepted by 3 Ivy league schools and offered a commission at the Naval Academy (not enough girls there for a horny 17 yo at the time...hehehe...Cornell, Penn and Dartmouth were just too expensive for me).

I have several brothers and the ones that just didn't have a knack for school joined the military or got union jobs. My brohter joined the Navy and had a high clearance because he worked with very intricate and top secret weaponry and without a college degree is working for defense firms in California making a great living.

With the exception of my oldest brother who was in Vietnam and came back...well...not the same...but has his life together now, none of us were failures that I can think of. I underachieved but that's my own fault, certainly not my parents. Same with my sister, who was much smarter in school than I was but she was always a bit flaky..lol. A couple brothers of mine over achieved in my mind. All, including my sister have productive lives.

We had tough but loving parents. We had sleepovers, played video games, stayed out a bit too late at times as teenagers at parties, a few smoked pot (nothing stronger), etc.

I agree that the present USA yuppie/Cali family that let their kids do what ever they want is not productive. As I said, a balance is needed. Letting a kid have some creativity and chioces helps them find a niche. I was exploring all kinds of careers as a kid because I was given choices. I got a used chemistry set (we were poor..lol) as a present and wanted to be a chemical engineer at one time. Spending ours in the library trying to find the formula for nitroglycerin (illegal to print I found out later on) helped me learn the basics of chemistry and helped me ace chemistry and to a lesser extent biology in Middle school and HS because I was allowed choices, to be curious about the world around me. As a kid my parents made a game of watching Jeapordy and seeing who could guess the answers. Their praise, what every kid yearns for was the reward. Simple things like that are great.

Also, would there be a Microsoft, Google, or the millionaires who created computer game companies and gaming applications if they were raised as the chinese mothers do? Would the founders of Microsoft or Facebook be allowed to leave Harvard to build their businesses if they had Chinese mothers? Perhaps but there is a reason why America leads in innovation in so many fields. We live in a society where risk, being a bit different sometimes, is rewarded. The comic book collecting kid sometimes finds that rare one that is worth 100k or more. Sometimes that kid becomes a graphic artist. I had a friend as a kid who would tag everything. Spray painted the most ornate tags on walls, etc. and we all got our school notebooks tagged by him. That kid could have been a cartoonist, artist, etc. if he lived somewhere else.

The chinese are known for stealing a lot of technology, same with the Japanese before them. Coincidentally both are raised similarily and maybe, just maybe, the reason they had to steal a lot innovation is because they didn't foster the same environment in their own cultures.

"...The chinese are known for stealing a lot of technology, same with the Japanese before them. Coincidentally both are raised similarily and maybe, just maybe, the reason they had to steal a lot innovation is because they didn't foster the same environment in their own cultures..."

One Chinese girl I know very well said there was no shame in their culture to lying cheating or stealing ideas, anything it took to gain an advantage over others, it showed you were ambitious etc...she said the shame was in getting caught and failing at what was expected. In short win at any cost, on something as simple as a piano recital or chess game etc...disgusting, but I see it time and time again, not just with the Chinese however.

Archived