What would you have done?

Ckrisg

Hi,

Interesting though that she took six months to respond, drags up this old thread by making a few more posts - and only in this thread - and disappears again.

BTW, as for "It's sad but some people on here will always be accusing others of things they have not done."

Isn't it just as sad that some people feel the need to judge others and the things they do? Even though they know nothing of the circumstances.

I am certain *that* has caused a decline in posting as well, but of course those people would never consider such things as they are never the ones in the wrong.

Sanuk!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS,

Agree. As for why people stopped posting here, a lot has to do with some of the stalking and other crap that has gone on. I know a few guys who left the board(s) because they were tired of having their activities tracked and then held against them by some nut job(s).

As I told you and a few others, I have had to stop meeting people here, and in BKK outside of the Friday nighters, simply because I had a few nut cases stalking me all over the place. Some of these people were just plain scary. I know other board members have had the same thing happen to them, in some cases, much worse.

As far as I am concerned, that has a lot more effect on board participation than me calling in on something the people involved with told me was all a ruse, I got it from the horses mouths. There is an unwritten rule/code out there, when someone calls you on a ruse/game/experiment/bullshit, you own up and cease. I did it when I got called, so did others. No reason the expect any less in this instance.

Taken from Stickman Weekly 14/12/2008

"The incident that follows was never reported, or if it was, I missed it. On Thursday November 27 a reader was strolling down Sukhumvit Soi 13 back to his hotel in the middle of the afternoon. Just a dozen or so feet ahead of him was a 40ish Caucasian heading in the same direction. A Thai male appeared, walked up beside this farang, pulled out a pistol and shot him in the head at point blank range before dissolving in the direction of Soi 11, around the dog leg that points towards Cheap Charlie's. The guy who witnessed this was so freaked out he didn't even stop but hurried straight to his hotel room (a wise move), packed, and headed to Phuket and eventually to Kuala Lumpur from where he finally got a flight back to his homeland. He was so freaked out he did it all without sleeping for 60 hours." :question:

4 Thai gentlemen robbed a farang about 3 years ago. The farang gave them his money but they wanted more. They cut his neck with their machetes and let him bleed like a pig. When no more money was given to them, they lowered a machete blade to the top of his head and left him for dead on the sidewalk. The Thai men got on their bikes and a few minutes later, they saw me. They got off their bikes, surrounded me and then drew out their machetes demanding everything I had. I threw half a cup of coffee into one person's face and the other half of coffee into another person's face. I turned and ran as fast as I could. After about 2 - 4 steps, my left foot's number 2,3,4 metatorsial bones fractured causing me to go down. As I went down, I put out my right arm, but the impact was so severe, it permanently seperated my shoulder. This was good! The reason I say this is that the number 2 attacker was swinging his machete blade at me. Instead of the blade hitting me, it went over my body sparing my life.

Neither of these incidents were in the news.

And it is interesting that "Sanyar (Thai3, Petergarrity, et al)" accuses me of being an "internet nutter" even tho" I've never done anything to anyone, let alone him. Tho' I freely admit that given his past actions, I fully support anyone pointing out his original ID and why he was banned. Very vile indeed and unforgivable (not that forgiveness was ever asked) IMHO. No details need be given.

He needs to just continue "being a fan of" Jintara and leave the rest of us alone. Sad, since he is a wealth of info about Thai folk music, but the tradeoff is not worth it IMHO. YMMV.

Sanyar, since you have been banned here(!) for numerous times, and on private places too, it must be serious, and that means most want you to go away.

So just do that, eh?

Cheers,

SD

Yeah' date=' this is the first I have heard of it...you'd think it would have been in the BKKPost, or Thaivisa etc...[/quote']

Bangkok is like your home city in that almost nothing is reported.

True, but something like this would have been on several other boards I would think. Also, as I stated, I know the woman who owned Beavers/The sport bar, in the area and she had heard nothing about it. You'd figure something like a farang getting his head blown off would have at least gotten a mention/some attention with the locals.

Additionally, you would think other farangs would have seen it and reported it on various boards, or at least discussed it in the bars, it would have been the talk of the sois...but ziltch...

Yeah' date=' this is the first I have heard of it...you'd think it would have been in the BKKPost, or Thaivisa etc...[/quote']

Bangkok is like your home city in that almost nothing is reported.

True, but something like this would have been on several other boards I would think. Also, as I stated, I know the woman who owned Beavers/The sport bar, in the area and she had heard nothing about it. You'd figure something like a farang getting his head blown off would have at least gotten a mention/some attention with the locals.

Additionally, you would think other farangs would have seen it and reported it on various boards, or at least discussed it in the bars, it would have been the talk of the sois...but ziltch...

We probably get to the truth of the matter by asking some of the working girls around there if they had seen something.

Sorry but my five years living in Bkk and four other years in other parts never gave me the feeling that LOS is a dangerous place...

Personal safety like walking across the street, general driving, elevators, hotel fire exits, pubic tranportation standards, yes very risky and a much greater chance of a bad outcome than in a western country...

But as to crime happening to a random person in the general population, I would say very low..

It seems most crime happens to people who are intended targets and bring it on themselves via poor decision-making, risky behavior, wrong associates, etc...

Does their stupid acts or poor decisions deserve for them in a result getting hung, stabbed, shot, etc probably not but I would guess the vast majority of crime victims somehow was part of the equation (hey maybe being 4:00am drunk out alone in a seedy area can be enough to increase a bad outcome risk...)

People who I feel for are ones who like the Oakland Ca boy recently who was at his piano lesson in a building when a random bullet from two rival gangs rips though the wall and paralyzes him..

I would guess statistically there is a big difference between random violence in the West compared to the East and if you keep your nose clean and generally aware one is less likely to be a victim here than in the West...

Now lets hear from people who will tell us that they were a random crime victim. A few victim stories does not make it more dangerous statistically speaking. One needs to look at the bigger picture when extrapolating to general statements like BKK/LOS is very dangerous. This is a conditional statement at the very least.....

Fire away...

CB

Hi,

I guess you don't really read the Thai newspapers, right?

Crime towards farangs is indeed quite low, unfortunately the same cannot be said for crime targeted at Thais. The vast majority of these crimes never make the English language news though.

Sanuk!

Maybe you can translate Bkk standardized crime statistics against large American cities (LA, Chicago, Detroit) or Rio or Mexico City from these Thai newspapers?

Probably not the best source for this kind of data needed to support general statements...

But the photos of dead victims every day are a nice touch and does sell newspapers...

CB

Archived